Saturday, December 22, 2007

Miles to go before I sleep





Well, we had a wonderful time up in Houghton, MI for Ben's graduation from Michigan Tech! We are so proud of him!!! And wow was it ever cold up there - minus three degrees at one point. So we enjoyed the pool and hot tub, as the snow and wind swept around the three glass sides of the pool area. I also picked up a lovely cold/laryngitis with cough while there! So now we can get started on Christmas. We put up our tree last night, (in the stand I mean)(it didn't pay to put it up before we left for Houghton, and have to have someone come in and water it), got the lights on tonight, and maybe, that is maybe, tomorrow the ornaments. We will also be driving to Lansing (a two hour trip one way) to pick up our son and may as well begin our shopping while we are on the way there. Our decorating is going very slowly - we had a new roof put on a few weeks ago, and when taking the five layers off, the last one on our 150 year old home must have been the next invention after thatch roofs, because it had one to two inch gaps between each of the roof boards. So our tiny crawl space we call our attic had everything covered with an inch of soot/grit/dirt - and everything is needing to be painstakingly cleaned. Hubby is doing a fantastic job doing that, but the soot got in everywhere, inside of boxes and inside of ornaments wrapped in tissue inside of boxes! Unbelievable! Our Christmas lights had also been wound around a board, and were also covered, so we spent two nights after work, looking for new LED Christmas lights - looked in six stores the first night, and three the second - no luck. So the old lights were dusted off, and put up one more time. Next year..... And gift lists just came in recently, so presents need to be bought - I do have one or two hidden, if only I can remember where!. And in order to try and recover from this cold, I am trying to take it easy, ha ha! BUT this year is WAY better than last year!

Last year in December, the 13th actually, I had a heart stent put in, came home, and then had a heart attack the next day, and spent 8 days in the hospital, and on the 22nd of December same son above had surgery to repair his ACL tear on his knee - so this year is just splendid, as far as I am concerned! I am going to enjoy every last minute of it! (I think hubby is enjoying it more too!)

So today was our last day of school, and what gets done gets done, otherwise, who cares! (dagnab those Christmas cards!) I just have to try and focus on what is important, not the long to do list! Deep breath in, and what is the yoga mantra? hmmmmmmmmmm - all is well! And I sure hope I get to do a little crafting somewhere in here, but it doesn't look good, but if I do, I will include pictures! Merry Christmas to you!

Hugs - Diane

4 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Diane... my goodness... well, here's a cheer for a much better Christmas than last year! So, relax and soak up the peace and joy! Merry Christmas and I hope that cold is gone already!

bccarlso said...

Glad to be home for the next two weeks mom. =)

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Diane, your message on my blog was a hoot. It sounds so much like me! I had a good laugh about your roof, and the fact the first layer must have been thatch. I could almost picture the mess. You are a brave girl not to whine, just a bit.

Was your Mom named Alma from a scripture person? I haven't read deeper into your blog to look for hints.

Hey, late Christmas cards aren't so bad, at least you wrote some. One year we delivered our Christmas neighborhood gift on New Year's Day! It could always be worse.

Susie Q said...

I hope my comment from this weekend came through...AND, I just spied on Janet's blog comments that YOUR birthday is the 15th. How cool is that? I do hope it will be a very happy one!

Welcome to the blogging world! We are all glad you are here!

Hugs,
Sue